Yup you read right. We have a first grader. Oh my. I managed to make it to the car after dropping him off the first day before the water works started. I am so happy to see him be in first grade and know he is fine but at the same time he is growing so fast and time just flies by it seems. I wish it would slow down.
Anyway, August 19th was Wyatt's first day of school and here are some photos.
I cannot get the photo to turn :(
Here are some things he is into at the moment.
Sitting at his desk.
Getting his name tag on.
Wyatt with his teacher.
Wyatt's teacher is Mrs. North. Vince and I got to meet her at orientation the night before. She is really nice. I was looking forward to coming home from work Tuesday to see how Wyatt's first day went. He loved it!! He likes his teacher and was excited to see he had the same classmates as the year before. That made me happy to hear.
We are now a couple of weeks into the school year and while he still loves school he was not a big fan of homework. The first week they had none but Mrs. North sent home a letter saying that the second week it was time to get down to business and oh my she was right. First grade is no joke. Reading alot, thirty something words to memorize for tests, and math homework.
The second week rolled around and Vince and I started getting into the routine we had discussed. Once the kids are home from the grandparents and Vince and I have our cars unloaded from the day it is time to start homework. While I make supper Wyatt works on his homework. Well the first couple of nights he fought that like no other. One of us would sit down with him to do his homework while the other worked on supper or housework and kept Isaac entertained. The first night we started at 6 and did not get done till around 9:30 , granted there was two fifteen minute breaks in there but still that is a long time. The second night was similar. The third night we switched it up a bit. If he did his homework with no issues as far as behavior he was rewarded with candy or something else we chose for that night. I got this idea after posting on facebook about us having a hard time with getting Wyatt motivated to do homework and after a friend giving me the idea. Guess what it WORKED!!!! We have continued that and it is still working. Yay!! Homework only takes an hour now and he fights it next to none. Now if we could figure out how to get him up in the morning without a fight. The boy is NOT a morning person. He might have inherited that from me.





That is an insane amount of homework!!
ReplyDeleteAs far as making mornings go smoothly. Snuggles. We get up extra early so that we can just lay there & snuggle for awhile. Puts everyone in a better mood and wakes you up 'slowly'.
Yes it is insane. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to give it a try :)
Delete