Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Growing up

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I remember being ask this question in school growing up. Back then I had so much other crap going on, I really did not know what I wanted to be. As I got older and moved around from home to home with different families I decided. I wanted to do something to help people and while what I do now is not really that, it is what I love doing. We will get to that later. Let me give you some backround first and foremost.  I dropped out of high school when I was 18 and moved out on my own into a little apartment in Red Bud. From there I worked two jobs for a couple of years to make ends meet and in 2003/2004 I met Vince. How we met is for another blog though. Anyway Vince decided he wanted to help me pass my GED cause I really wanted to take it but had heard horror stories on how hard they are to take. Let me tell you guys the stories you hear about that test are TRUE. Anyway after two times and Vince wanting to kill me I passed. He really did a good job helping me study. So in 2005/2006 I decided to go to SWIC and this is where I got to try and figure out what I wanted to be. Scroll down for more:
Psyciatrist
Yes this was the first thing I thought of and took some classes for. As my classes went on though it just did not hold my interest and I thought do I really want to sit all day and listen to peoples problems when I have my own.  One word came to mind eventually, depressing. So on to my second choice/thought.

Police Officer
I seriously would have went for this one if it was not for the fact of children and a family. You see if I was going to be a police officer I would go to the city and not do the small town cop thing. In all reality that just was not going to be in the cards with a family and children. I did not want to put them through that. If I would have stayed single I would have went for it.  So onto my third choice and remember third time is a charm.

Paralegal

I did not know this existed for the longest time until one day one of the customers at the Farmers Table was telling me about it cause that is the career path she had choosen. Cause at the time I was still taking classes for psyciatist and computer classes. This is when I was also throwing the idea of being a lawyer in the air also and still am to this day. Anyway I switched my major to this at SWIC and loved it. You see I have always had  a love for law and I think it is important for people to know their rights and what they are entitled to. I did great in my law classes and after three years at SWIC got my Associates Degree for Paralegal Studies and now am going to be starting to work on my Bachelors degree in the same field. I am super excited!!! My goal is to get certified in Illinois as a Paralegal and maybe even Missouri. After school it was hard for me to find a job for year but with luck and some really awesome people to put in a good word for me I work at a law office as a Receptionist/Paralegal cause I do work in both. After I get done with a Bachelor's Degree we will see if I want to tackle law school or not. It all depends on my family situation and if I want to devote more time to school after that. So maybe my fourth choice will be:

Attorney

I would be happy with a Bachelors Degree in Paralegal but I just might take that last step. We shall see. So my question for you now is what did you want to be growing up?



1 comment:

  1. very good blog! hmm...i wanted to be lots of things. mostly a nurse or a teacher. don't have the patience for either of them! haha. i am happy you are doing something you love christine!

    ReplyDelete