Thursday, May 19, 2011

Craft Post

 Blanket
This may not be new to some of you, but I am doing this post anyway. I have had a few people ask me how to make one so I finally got around to doing it. I had bought this fabric on sale about a year ago to make a blanket for Wyatt and just now got around to doing it. What can I say, time gets away from me. I hope I use enough detail, but if you read this and still have questions you can email me at christine.pettijohn@yahoo.com or leave me a comment on here.

This blanket is for Wyatt so I just picked up enough material to make him a blanket. Wyatt also decided he wanted to help on this one so I let him since it is for him.
Lay the material on a flat area as seen above.

Then put the second piece flat on top of the bottom material. It should look like the picture above. Line up all the corners and if you have some material sticking out, that is okay also.

Then with it still laying flat, cut the extra material that is hanging out off  and do as you wish with it. I just threw it away.
Wyatt already wanted his blanket done and ready for him to have as you can see.

Then cut strips all around the outside of your blanket. Similiar to the ones above. I do not measure I just eye things out and yes it worked out fine. When you start to tie the strips if you need to cut down more you can. I will get to that in a few.

I always make my strips about this wide and that far down. I would say it would be around an inch to a inch in a half wide and about 2 or 3 inchs down.

Once you have the outside all the way around of your fabric cut just take and tie the strips together as if you were going to start to tie your shoe. Once you make the first wrap around, then tie a knot on that same strip. Kind of like when you tie you shoe but instead of making a bow tie a knot instead.

The knot should look similiar to this on all the strips that you cut.

Once that is done it should look like this all the way around. I tie my knots a little tight so when I had all the knots tied around and the blanket done I had to take each side of the blanket and stretch it out a bit. When you tie the knot tight like me it causes the blankets ends to kind of shrivel up. Like I said though, in that case just grab the ends one by one and give it a little tug. If you have any questions just let me know.  I would be happy to help!!

2 comments:

  1. Great project for a no-sewer like me! I'm sure Wyatt LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did and now I am addicting to making them again. Lol! Looks like Isaac is getting one to.

    ReplyDelete